Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Take-aways from the 2013 Animal Rights National Conference


At the 2013 Animal Rights National Conference, I had the pleasure of engaging both my intellectual and emotional faculties during the various workshops, lectures, and social gatherings. It was my first time attending the conference, and it was particularly gratifying because I achieved the one goal I sought to fulfill during the weekend. I certainly hoped to learn more about the movement, acquire some more skills for leafleting, and also make a new friend or two; my primary objective, however, was to leave the conference with at least one paramount piece of insight. As I stated, I achieved this goal, but in quite an unexpected manner.
This year's conference contained a debate between Bruce Friedrich and Gary Francione, two abolitionist vegans who work toward animal liberation - just in very different ways. Francione believes that supporting welfarist reforms (phasing out cages, providing more space for animals, etc) are counterproductive and encourage complacency. Well, that's the diplomatic summary, at least. In my personal perception, I see Francione as the Ann Coulter of the animal rights movement: someone who probably sincerely believes they are right, but due to their extremist views, gets much more attention than otherwise warrants (and consequently thrives off of it).
Friedrich's points were extremely articulate, pragmatic, tactful, and both his content and delivery were quite cogent. Francione, on the other hand, adopted a much less respectful demeanor during the debate. Content aside (which I, personally, viewed as reprehensible), I was particularly struck by the negativity he espoused. We are all working toward the same goal, and that should be a cause for some degree of celebration despite the uphill battle - why leave the audience members with such a sour, unpleasant feeling?
I was encouraged by a friend (a remarkable fellow Humane League activist) to share my thoughts with Francione, which is precisely what I did. I very respectfully approached him and and said, "I know you must be busy, but do you possibly have a moment for some feedback?" He immediately retorted (very briskly) by saying, "What do you disagree with?" I proceeded to courteously explain to him my vantage point. I said, "I feel like conferences such as this one are incubators for future activists. When you emit so much anger, you run the risk of alienating people who find such negativity off-putting." Once again in an undeniably curt manner, he said to me, "there's a difference between anger and passion. Hopefully one day you'll learn the difference."
The major insight I took away from the conference was the value of humility. My father always tells me that the best leaders are those who never stop learning from people around them. My interaction with Gary Francione solidified this concept in my head - that the people who radiate humility will always be the most influential, and those who isolate themselves from any and all opportunities to be better are cutting themselves off from true success. I was truly astonished by the arrogance emanating from Francione, but I feel very proud to say that those whom I look up to most in the movement, including the entire staff at The Humane League are some of the most humble, compassionate people I know who realize the value of always trying to be the best version of themselves possible - for them, and for the animals. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Humility and your dad are synonymous. Your dad is one of the very few quintessential humble persons I have known. Having said that, let me state that no one is perfect (duh). Even our parents are not in every aspect perfect, even if you don't like this fact. That is because, no one knows the definition of "perfect". Every individual has their own solitary definition for it and another one for when in a group (A skeptic's guide to the mind - Robert Burton, neurologist)

Having expectations can most times give way to disappointments (Hinduism, Buddhism, experience :)). Like in a movie or a book, just pick up what is good (for you) and walkaway from everything else. I mean this for daily life events too! Don't let this one conference or one person irritate your mind for even an extra moment.

It's not that I follow the above like an expert sage. I wish all the related knowledge appears infront of us and then convinces and consoles our mind and heart at the right moment when needed.

A little I learned (still learning) from my disappointments and sufferings from the great people I thought they are!! Each of us 'know' these great people in our own way than the other one.

Just because they got a chance to debate on a stage in a conference has nothing to do with their maturity to pass a compassionate message to the people who came with expectations to learn and get inspired. He didn't even bother to inspire one person who questioned, you. Give a damn.